From April 25, 2018 until May 5, 2018
Please read the regulations* carefully and submit your film in the correct competition. No refunds will be made due to submissions in the wrong competition!
*Full regulations for all 3 competitions in both English and French can be found below under Attachments.
Brussels Short Film Festival is an exhibition intended for lovers of cinema, both audience and professionals. The purpose is to promote and circulate short films and to generate contacts between audience, young directors and professionals.
There are 3 competitions :
• National Competition
• International Competition
• Student Films Competition “Next Generation”
2. ORGANISATION, DATES AND PLACE
Brussels Short Film Festival is organized by the non-profit association Un Soir...Un Grain in Brussels from April 25 to May 05, 2018.
3. RULES AND REGULATIONS
To be admitted, each film must match the following requirements :
• Films have to not exceed 30 minutes in length. All genres are accepted ;
• Films have to be produced (or the 1st public exhibition) after November 1, 2016 ;
• Films have to be available for Festival screening on DCP and mp4. codec H264 - 10 Mbs - 1920 x 1080 ;
• Films have to be subtitled in french (or in english). It’s also advisable for french-speaking films to have english subtitles.
!! The student films have to be submitted to the Student Films Competition “Next Generation”.
4. SUBSCRIPTION AND SELECTION : before February 8th, 2018
The film must have been uploaded on the platform Reelport : reelport.com,
• Participants have to enter their film via the online submission
• The film have to be uploaded
• Attached files :
o One still of the film which can be used in any publication o A photo of the director
Entry only will be valid upon reception of all these documents
the Submission fees for the International Competition = €7 until December 30 ,2017.
From December31 ,2017,the Submission fees for the International Competition = 9€
Please don’t send a DVD. Entries sending by mail, cannot be considered for the competition.
5. PRIZES / AWARDS
• “Grand Prix” : €3500
• Special Jury Prize : €1000
• Best actress Prize: €1000
• Best actor Prize: €1000
• Audience Prize: €1500
• ... And many other Prizes including broadcasting rights on TV channels.
Jury’s decisions may not be subject to appeal. Only persons bound by the name of the Prize will be the recipients of it.
Winning a Prize included the agreement of the production with the fact that the winner films could be showed during regional screenings after the festival and one time during a free screening during the next festival.
6. SHORT FILM MARKET
A Short Film Market is organized during the Festival. Films submitted to selections for our competitions will automatically be indexed in the market catalogue and viewable by professionals attending the market. It’s also advisable to send the film with english subtitles.
A selection committee, chosen by the festival team, will be appointed to view all submissions for pre-selection. Only selected films will be allowed to participate to the competition. The selections results will be notified on line (www.bsff.be) in April 2018. x
8. TELEVISION DIFFUSION AND INTERNET
All selected films may be excerpted (limited to 15% (max.2 minutes) of the length) for publicity purposes on TV or via the Internet. Extracts of the selected films may be broadcast on TV channels and on the internet in the context of divulging information regarding the Festival.
9. SHIPPING OF SCREENING COPIES
• No rental fees of the prints will be paid by the festival for the competition programmes. Copies of selected films must be sent before April 3rd, 2018. The address will be communicated later to the selected participants.
• Concerning Postal Shipments : The maximal value written on the package has to be 10€ or 10$ (especially for films coming from outside the european union). Un Soir, ... Un Grain will not pay any border tax whatsoever.
• The film copies will be sent back during May 2018 to the production company address or to an address whose deliveries prices by Fedex or Belgian post office are not higher than the sending to the production company address.
• We encourage participants to send their screening file via the FTP server we make especially available.
• USB sticks will not be sent back after the Festival.
In case of loss or deterioration of a hard drive during the festival, the festival’s responsibility is only committed to replace a hard drive with a value inferior or equivalent to 50€. Thank you for not sending us the film’s Master.
11. INVITATION FOR THE DIRECTOR
Selected films directors will receive an invitation for the Festival in Brussels for 4 days and an accreditation. This invitation may not be used by a third party. The festival will cover a part of the guest’s travel costs.
The organisation committee is the only one allowed to deal with the persons most closely concerned in case of a litigation. Submit a film to our International competition implies the acceptance of these regulations. Should any legal dispute occur, only the French version of the present regulations and the Belgian Legislation will have force of law.
This Festival was founded in 1998
Since 1998, ours goals have been diverse and complementary:
Offer a viewing experience mixing quality, discovery, diversity and entertainment;
Connect a wide global audience to ground-breaking artists;
Introduce short films as an alternative form of artistic creation to a young audience;
Introduce and connect professionals;
Broadcast and sell short films on the international marketplace;
Be a springboard for emerging directors, actors and technicians
330 FILMS FROM 45 COUNTRIES
6 THEATRES IN BRUSSELS
119,000 NET SURFERS
In 2018, the Brussels Short Film Festival has been approved as an Oscar® qualifying short film festival. Recipients of the International Great Prize and the National Great Prize will be eligible for consideration in the Animated Short Film/Live Action Short Film category of the Academy Awards® without the standard theatrical run, provided the film otherwise complies with the Academy rules.