From July 10, 2018 until Sept. 6, 2018
1) All films must have hard-coded English subtitles. Even the ones with dialogue in English. Our audience also contains speakers of other native languages, so English subtitles offer you the assurance they will understand your film, and them a better experience.
2) Proudly, we have no production year / budget / premiere status or availability restrictions for your film. We do ACCEPT films that have been made available online.
3) Also, entries that have been submitted to previous SFB editions ARE still eligible.
4) The same film can be submitted to more than one category. (Example: Animated film submitted to both Best International Short Film, Best Animation Film and Best 1 Minute Film)
5) By submitting your film to the Best i-Say Short Film Breaks Film category you are granting Short Film Breaks the right to upload your film to the i-Say Facebook page (www.facebook.com/iSayonline) and confirming that no legal constraints are in place for such uploads.
6) Please read the time limit submission rules for each category. Films that don't respect them will be rejected automatically.
7) By submitting your film you agree that clips, under 30 seconds, from your film and all other materials related to your project may be used and/or published on our Facebook page / website / event program, or for any promotional purposes which SFB deems appropriate.
8) If selected, all commercial / private property including all trademark / copyrighted materials shown or recorded on the project is the responsibility of the filmmaker. SFB will NOT take responsibility for any infringement of copyrighted materials.
9) Rules are subject to change at any time with or without prior notice.
Notification date: July 9th, 2018.
This Festival was founded in 2013
MISSION & OBJECTIVE
SHORT FILM BREAKS is the only film festival taking place within public, non-profit and for-profit organizations, in a bid to offer smart break opportunities while promoting the independent movie industry around the world.
ABOUT THE FESTIVAL
Short Film Breaks is the only film festival taking place within public, non-profit and for-profit organizations.
For our 6th edition, we are waiting for your submissions of short films, which will compete in the following categories:
- Best International Short Film:
One of the two main categories, we're accepting short films, of any genre, under 30 minutes, from all around the world, except Romania.
- Best Romanian Short Film:
Main category. We're accepting short films of any genre, under 30 minutes, produced in Romania or all around the world but having Romanian as the single (or main) dialogue language.
- Best Feature Film
We're accepting feature films, of any genre and length, from all around the world.
- Best i-Say Short Film Breaks (online):
We're accepting short films of any genre, under 10 minutes, from all around the world. We will be uploading them ONLINE, on the i-Say Facebook page (www.facebook.com/iSayonline), to our audience of 2 MILLION members and 215k Facebook followers.
- Best Animation Film:
We're accepting animation films, under 20 minutes, from all around the world.
- Best Documentary Film:
We're accepting documentary films, under 20 minutes, from all around the world.
- Best Experimental Film:
We're accepting experimental films, under 20 minutes, from all around the world.
- Best Music Video:
We're accepting music videos, under 20 minutes, from all around the world.
- Best Festival Circuit Debut
Short films, of any genre, under 20 minutes, from all around the world, that have not yet participated in any film festivals.
- Best Series Episode
We're accepting TV and Web series episodes, under 30 minutes, from all around the world.
- Best Human Rights Short Film
We're accepting short films of any genre, under 20 minutes, created all around the world, with a theme or story related to human rights, environment & ecology, activism, citizenship and community mobilization, local development, the rights of minorities, migration, global justice, etc.
- Best Short Film Made by Children
We're accepting short films of any genre, under 20 minutes, created all around the world, by children under 18 y.o.
- Best 1 Minute Film
We're accepting short films of any genre, having the length of under or exactly 1 minute.
We're looking forward to watching your films!
We started in 2013, with screenings over a three months period for the 1000 Ipsos employees in Bucharest and Brasov. Our first edition also had special events and Q&A with guests from the Romanian filmmaking industry like Tudor Giurgiu, Adrian Sitaru or Tom Wilson, among others.
On our second edition we partnered with NexT IFF (www.nextfilmfestival.ro), the most important short film festival in Romania. Again, we had weekly screenings for three months and special events with guest like Florin Piersic Jr., Vivi Dragan Vasile, Ioana Flora, Dana Bunescu and Gabi Suciu.
During our third edition we continued our partnership with NexT IFF and added a new one with Alter-Native (www.madisz.ro), the most important Hungarian language film festival in Romania. That meant that again, for three months in a row, our employees watched short films during their breaks.
In 2016, we moved to the next level and added a competitive component to the festival, besides our non-competitive partnerships with Next IFF and Alter-Native, while starting a new collaboration, with Onion Films from Katmandú (http://onionfilms.com.np).
From the 1985 films submitted, we selected 7 for the Best Romanian Short Film category and 26 films for the Best International Short Film category.
In 2017 we added an online festival, i-Say Short Film Breaks, to our live screenings. The i-Say website (http://i-say.co/iSaySFBsite) and the i-Say Facebook page (http://i-say.co/iSaySFBplaylist) were the only places where the i-Say panel members watched the SFB films, online.
We also opened our doors to a new range of films and filmmakers. From the total number of 2403 films received across all platforms, we accepted:
- Best International Short Film: 30 films
- Best Romanian Short Film: 10 films
- Best i-Say Short Film Breaks (online): 12 films
- Best Animation Film: 13 films
- Best Documentary Film: 4 films
- Best Experimental Film: 9 films
- Best Music Video: 8 music videos
- Best Children's Day Movie: 32 films
Unfortunately, because we didn't find enough films to love, we decided to drop the following categories: Best Halloween Movie, Best Valentine's Day Movie and Best Christmas Movie.
AWARDS & PRIZES
TOTAL PRIZES OF - $1000
Best International Short Film - $101
Best Romanian Short Film - $101
Audience Award - $101
Best Feature Film - $202
Best Documentary Short Film - $55
Best Animation Short Film - $55
Best Experimental Short Film - $55
Best Music Video - $55
Best Festival Circuit Debut - $55
Best Series Episode - $55
Best Human Rights Short Film - $55
Best Short Film Made by Children - $55
Best 1 Minute Film - $55