From Oct. 14, 2017 until Oct. 21, 2017
The International Short Film Festival of Cyprus 2017
14/10/17 – 21/10/17
Rules & Regulations
1) The International Short Film Festival of Cyprus (ISFFC) is organized by the Ministry of Education and Culture of Cyprus and the Rialto Theatre from 14th – 21st October 2017 at the Rialto theatre.
2) The ISFFC has as its main objective the promotion of cinematographic art by presenting a diverse showcase of short films from around the globe. The aim of the festival is to promote and propagate the production of short films and to develop a spirit of friendship and cooperation among filmmakers. It presents the work of talented filmmakers who successfully use creative cinematic language forms and effectively tell a story in a short film. It is an annual event with free entrance
a. All films in Competition should be Cyprus Premieres.
b. Fiction, documentary, experimental, student and animation short films are eligible for participating in the festival's competition.
c. Films must not exceed 25 minutes in length.
d. Formats eligible for screening are the following: DCP, 35mm, Quick Time: 720p - 1080p / H264, MPEG - 4: 720p - 1080p
e. The overall artistry and the quality of work, the dramaturgy level of the film and the originality of direction will be highly valued. Films not complying with the above standards or of pornographic content and/or promoting war and racism shall be excluded from the festival.
4) Films will be screened in their original language with English subtitles.
5) No screening fees are paid to any participating films.
6) National Competition
a. Cypriot Films compete for the International Awards and also for the National awards of the Ministry of Education and Culture of Cyprus.
b. Cypriot Directors who live and work in Cyprus or abroad may submit their work.
c. Films must not exceed 25 minutes in length.
d. Films must have been completed after 1st of January 2016.
e. Three film categories are accepted for Competition:
-Short film (fiction, animation, experimental)
-Student short film (fiction, animation, experimental)
f. All films should be Cyprus Premieres.
g. Awards will be granted only in categories with more than one participation.
h. Films submitted in the National Competition should include at least 3 Cypriot contributors in major credits.
i. Student films are accepted only in case the Cypriot contributor is the director.
j. Student films are accepted only when the student's final year project is concerned. In this case, the application for participation should be accompanied by a certificate from the school/university where s/he studies.
k. Films in the National Competition should be in one of the two official languages of the Republic of Cyprus or should contain at least 50% of Greek or Turkish dialogues. This excludes films whose narrative justifies the existence of a larger percentage of dialogues in a foreign language. In this case the applicant should provide an explanatory note. The final decision rests with the pre-selection committee. This does not apply for student films which are allowed to have all the dialogues in a foreign language.
l. The financial awards will be granted to the Director.
m. Pre-selection committee:
-The pre-selection committee consists of three members from the field of cinema.
-The selection is made by simple vote.
-The pre-selection committee is not obliged to provide a rationale for selection or rejection of films.
n. Only one film per participant can be submitted.
o. Films containing dialogues in a foreign language should be submitted with English subtitles.
p. The directors/producers of the films should complete and send the entry form in which they provide the technical details of the film and comply with the rules and regulations of the festival.
q. Submissions are open until 1st June 2017.
r. The entry form must be filled and sent signed via e-mail, by the director or producer submitting the film along with an online via secure link (e.g: vimeo) at firstname.lastname@example.org or with three DVD copies of the film in PAL video system by 1st June 2017 at the following address:
National Competition Section - ISFFC
19, Andrea Droussioti Str.,Heroes' Square,
3040 Limassol Cyprus
s. Producers/Directors of accepted films only will be notified in time.
t. When notified for Official Selection the producer or director should send a copy of their film in the screening format stated in their entry form
u. After the submission of the entry form, the director or producer have no right to withdraw their participation.
7) International Competition
a. The members of the Artistic Committee, appointed by the organizers of the festival, are film directors Mrs. Alexia Roider and Mr. Ioakim Mylonas.
b. Foreign films competing in the International Competition will be chosen and invited after a selection process from the submitted films on reelport.com. However the artistic committee reserves the right to invite short films to participate directly granting them a special invitation.
c. Films must have been completed after the 1st of January 2016.
d. Short films accepted for competition can be fiction, experimental, animation, student or documentary shorts.
e. When notified for Official Selection the producer or director should send a signed application form stating all technical requirements at the following address or by e-mail accompanied by 2 DVD copies of the film or online via secure downloadable link (e.g: Vimeo).
International Competition Section ISFFC
19, Andrea Droussioti Str.,Heroes' Square,
3040 Limassol Cyprus
f. The Director/Producer of accepted films only will be notified in time.
g. The financial awards will be granted to the Director.
h. Only one film per participant can be submitted.
i. Films containing dialogues in a foreign language should be submitted with English subtitles.
j. All films should be a Cyprus Premiere.
k. After the submission of the entry form, the director or producer have no right to withdraw their participation.
l. When notified for Official Selection the producer or director should send a copy of the film in the screening format stated in their entry form.
n. Deadline for submissions on reelport.com is 1st June 2017.
8) “Amaze me” Competition Section
a. A competition programme with top notch music videos from around the world, invited by the Artistic Committee judged by students of the Department of Multimedia and Graphic Arts of the Cyprus University of Technology.
9) Panorama Programme
a. Showcasing films in a non – competitive programme invited and selected from the Artistic Committee.
10) Hospitality: The Festival covers accommodation for one participant of each film, up to four nights.
11) The Organizers reserve the right to settle any case not stated in the rules and regulations.
12) Film excerpts of no more than 10% of the total duration will be used for publicity (Internet, TV, etc).
13) The Festival reserves the right to screen the selected films in its travelling programme for cultural purposes only.
14) The Jury consists of five members and the meetings take place when at least three members are present.
a. The Jury has the responsibility for granting the awards for both sections of the Festival.
b. No member of the Jury should be directly or indirectly involved in a competing film.
c. During the Jury meetings - without the right of vote – a representative of the organizers shall be present.
d. Members of the Jury are not allowed to release to the daily press or to interested parties anything that concerns its procedures before the official announcement is made. Furthermore, they are not allowed to express their views on the participating films outside official meetings and before the official announcement of the final decision is made.
e. Decisions are made by the majority of the members' votes.
f. In case of an equality of votes, the president has the winning vote.
g. Rationales shall be composed and announced only for the winning films.
h. The Jury owns the right not to present one or all of the Awards that are stated in the rules.
1st Prize for Best Short Film: 4000 Euro
Best Director Award: 2500 Euro
2nd Prize for Best Short Film: 1500 Euro
1st Prize for Best National Film: 4000 Euro
2nd Prize for Best National Film: 2500 Euro
Best Documentary Award: 3000 Euro
Student Jury Award for Best Music Video 500 Euro
The Jury may give up to 3 Special Mentions for the International Competition Section. For the National Competition Section the following Special Mentions could be given: Cinematography, Sound, Editing, Art Direction, Best Male Actor, Best Female Actress and Music.
16) The Festival Organizers reserve the right to organize the Festival's program and implement changes when thought fit.
17) Entry forms can be found and downloaded from www.isffc.com.cy and www.moec.gov.cy (section: announcements). All applications must include:
• An entry form filled in and signed by both the producer and the director.
• At least one photograph from the film (in digital form).
• At least one photograph of the director (in digital form).
• For foreign films, a summary of the film in English, not more than five lines (in digital form).
• For Cypriot films: summary in Greek and English for Greek-Cypriot films, summary in Turkish and English for Turkish-Cypriot Films.
• Main Cast and Credits (in digital form).
• A printed copy of the film's dialogues in English.
• Two DVD copies of the film with English subtitles or online link (if the dialogues are not in Greek or English).
• Filmography and biography of the director in English.
18) Copyright clearance is the responsibility of the producer for each submitted film, pursuant to the provisions of the copyright law.
19) The Digital/DVD copies of the submitted films for pre-selection will be kept in the festival's archives.
20) The Festival covers the outbound cost of the participating film. Films sent from abroad should have stated on the envelope or box the following phrase: 'No Commercial Value. For Cultural purposes only'.
21) All entries will be handled with extra care, however, the organizers will not accept any responsibility for the loss or damage of the films/DVDs etc. The films will be insured for theft or fire for their duration in Theater Rialto's possession. In case of loss or damage, the festival is liable only for the value of the DVD copy or other format of the film.
22) The decision of the Organizers, as to the interpretation of the rules and regulations, is final.
23) Submission of the entry forms to ISFFC implies the unconditional acceptance of the rules and regulations.
24) Any legal disputes shall be settled only by a Cypriot Court.
This Festival was founded in 2000
The International Short Film Festival of Cyprus is the official competition festival for short films in Cyprus. The Festival was set up by the Cultural Services of the Ministry of Education and Culture and Rialto Theatre in 1998. Initially, it involved only a national competition section, but, since 2011 it expanded into an international competition.
This year it celebrates its 7th International edition and welcomes everyone to an exceptional event dedicated to short film. The ISFFC's main objective is the promotion of cinematographic art through a diverse showcase of the best short films from Cyprus and across the globe. It awards the work of talented filmmakers who successfully use creative cinematic language forms and effectively tell a story in a short film.